I hope everyone had a great weekend. Today I’m sharing my version of vegetarian stuffed peppers. Heat oven to 350 degrees, cook time 30 minutes.
Fill large sauce pan/pot with water. Heat to boil. In this you will place: 4-5 large peppers (I’ve used red or green. Cut off top and clean out) These will need to simmer on medium low for about 10 minutes or until soft.
Ingredients for sauce pan: 10 minute cook time
1. 1 TBSP of extra virgin olive oil
2. 1 can of diced tomatoes (oregeno, basil, garlic)
3. 1 bag of cooked rice (I use Kroger instant brown rice - microwave 90 seconds)
4. Meatless option: 10 oz. bag of Morning star grillers crumbles OR chorizo crumbles depending on how hot you like it. (Grillers will be more like ground meat with less spice)
5. 1 tsp onion poweder
6. 2 tsp garlic salt
7. 1/2 tsp ground red pepper (optional for extra heat)
8. Add red sauce: I use a tomato basil mix any kind, I'm not too picky. You will need about 1-1.5 cups. This varies depending on how big your peppers are. I don't like the mixture to be to drenched in sauce, just enough to keep it from drying out.
Get a glass baking dish and add sauce from jar to dish, line bottom.
1. Remove peppers from pot. and empty water. Add extra virgin olive oil to outsides of peppers. Then add just a little salt to each outside. (This softens and adds flavor, but can be skipped)
2. Scoop out mixture from skillet and add to each pepper. Fill to top. There may be extra mixture, just place in dish around peppers.
3. Cook in oven 350 for 15 minutes.
4. Take out and add mozzarella cheese to the top of each pepper. Place back in the oven for another 15 minutes
That’s it, enjoy